Thursday, July 06, 2006

Summer school...

Some homeschoolers go year-round, which I'm sure is part of the reason a lot of homeschooled kids are well ahead of their public school peers. To some homeschooler, summer school is just like regular school. I plan to handle it the same way the public schoolers do, and use the summer to catch up where we may be lacking and review what we're likely to forget.

Chad has struggled and struggled with math. He is an overly logical child, and becomes easily frustrated with something when he can't see the immediate benefit. It was like pulling teeth getting him to memorize his multiplication tables because he couldn't see the benefit. Even after explaining that while yes, you can add it over and over to get the answer, it's so much faster this way, he was resistant.I just bought Saxon 5/4 and 6/5 at a curriculum fair, and I can't even tell you how excited I was at the content. While the 5/4 is technically 4th grade material, there was sooo much in there that wasn't even touched in the textbook from the district last year. I decided to have Chad go through this book first, to get used to the setup for one, and because I'm positive the whole thing will make more sense to him this way.

Cadence will be practicing reading all summer. Her math skills are already well ahead of the public schoolers her age, and she could use a break.Now, if I could just find time to do all this around park trips, assistance applications, and all the other b.s. going on right now to actually do schoolwork.

No comments: