Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Saxon math rocks...

I can't believe how quickly Chad is absorbing information with Saxon's format. Practice easy stuff every day until it's almost ridiculous, while learning other stuff until it's easy enough to practice every day. He started doing addition problems every day. He's capable of multiplication and division, so I got no arguments over the addition practice amongst multiplication stuff. Now that we've moved on to division work, his practice sheets are multiplication problems, which are now easy for him. I love how basic algebra ideas are worked in as well. In the first several lessons, he was subsituting "n" for numbers in simple problems without even a blink of an eye.

It's really too bad I didn't learn math this way. School in general may have been a lot easier on me.

Now I'll have to look into Saxon programs for my younger kids. The setup of the math program the district uses is just dumb, and most of it is busywork. Anyone know of a similar program for K-2 kids?

No comments: