Monday, December 12, 2005

The Obsession Train: Crochetting...

My mother tried to teach me to crochet when I was a kid. I never had the patience for it. The very idea of making something ONE. STITCH. AT. A. TIME. was just ridiculous to me. So my mother crocheted a thousand afghans, doll dresses, and coin purses for me. And sometimes I watched.

When I was 19, a friend of mine showed me again how to crochet. I guess I was finally ready to learn it at that point. For a few months, I crocheted afghans. Baby afghans for friends, a big afghan for my bed, and of course a few for my mom because... well you just can't ever have enough afghans, right? All of them were single-crochet stitches, back and forth, sometimes in stripes. That's all I had learned how to do. By the time I got around to learning double-crochet stitches, I was bored with the whole mess.

Well now I'm crochetting again. I bought about 50 pounds of yarn and several packages of different sized hooks. I printed off patterns from here, here, and here. I now have four crochet projects started at once: a cradle/purse for my youngest daughter, a tote bag for myself, an afghan for my friend's baby, and a tank top for my oldest daughter. I know damn well I will run out of steam on this roll well before I get through all the yarn I've bought, but I couldn't help myself.

I guess all that extra yarn will find a home in the back of my closet, with the rest of the yarn I've been hanging on to for years. ;)

No comments: