Wednesday, July 13, 2005

It's good to be Redneck...

Today it was good to be redneck. We were invited to a friend's house for a cookout. This guy is the biggest redneck I know, but he's also the most fun person I know so it was bound to be a good party. When we got there, Three of the men and one of their sons were shooting clay pidgeons that had been strategically placed around in the neighboring bean field with a .22 rifle. By the end of the day, my son and my eldest daughter both had to try this, as well as most of the other kids.

My friend sent my son to a tree in the "back lot" of his property with a hack-saw to cut branches to make sling-shots. There was about a 30-minute demonstration on how to make a good sling and how to use the device, and all the kids spent at least an hour shooting each other with small rocks and pieces of food. This was all fun and games until someone almost put out an eye. Yes, I'm serious.

We drank beer and told jokes and teased each other all over the place and laughed our butts off. The kids chased the chickens and caught frogs in the pond and climbed trees and poked a dead animal with a stick and left for home covered in dirt. I don't think we've had so much fun in a long time.

No comments: